I have found myself helping more and more people with their first wordpress sites recently so as I am doing a new site myself right now, I’m just going to note down some of the steps I go through when taking a boxfresh install of wordpress and making into a holiday selling machine!
Hope this helps someone, if you are wordpress ninja let me know anything I have missed!
- Delete (“trash!”) the first post “Hello World” which also takes care of the first comment.
- Either trash the default about page or add something to replace the default text.
- Change permalinks – under the settings menu. – be aware of any requirements that some plugins or datafeeds might have for permalink structure.
- Upload and activate your chosen wordpress theme under the appearance menu.
- Start installing some of these recommended wordpress plugins.
- Look at the privacy menu under “settings”. Decide whether you want to hide your site from search engines until it is ready.
- Delete the default links from the links section.
- Set-up Askimet to ensure you will get less spam.
- Under settings / writing, increase the size of the post box to 15 or more, and oh, while your there add these extra ping services under Update Services :
Hope this helps. I will try and add to the post as I go through the latest site I am working on.